2008年7月10日木曜日

My diaries 6/10~6/14

Tuesday 10, June

I had two classes. Because it was very sunny and hot I got more tired to practice archery on the third period. I was very sleepy on the forth period. Moreover I worked part-time.


Wednesday 11, June

It was sunny and hot, but not hotter than yesterday. I enjoyed practicing archery on the first period. I always have three classes on Wednesdays, but I only had two classes. As I said before, Mr. Yamamoto is on the trip to the Great Britain. I was a little bit happy...I'm sorry, Mr. Yamamoto.


Thursday 12, June

It was rainy today. I really don't like rain. However I have to be patient because it is the rainy season. Though I hate the rainy season, I like hydrangea. Hydrangeas blooming on the bank in front of the main gate are very beautiful. They change the color of the flower. We can enjoy the changes, too.


Friday 13, June

Even though it was rainy and cool, it was sunny and hot. I had three classes. After classes I went home immediately and worked hard to finish the paper of English grammar. I am reading Fahrenheit 451 written by Ray Bradbury. He wrote many science fiction stories, and I read one of them, Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed in American Culture class.

Fahrenheit 451 is a dystopian soft science fiction novel by Ray Bradbury. It was first published in 1953. The concept began with the 1947 short story "Bright Phoenix" that was only later published in the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in 1963. The original short story was reworked into the novella, The Fireman, and published in the February 1951 issue of Galaxy Science Fiction. The novel was also serialized in the March, April, and May 1954 issues of Playboy magazine. It is a critique of what Bradbury saw as an increasingly dysfunctional American society, written in the early years of the Cold War.
The novel presents a future American society in which the masses are hedonistic, and critical thought through reading is outlawed. The central character, Guy Montag, is employed as a "fireman" (which, in this future, means "book burner"). The number "451" refers to the temperature (in Fahrenheit) at which a book or paper auto ignites. A movie version of the novel was released in 1966, and it is anticipated that a second version will begin filming in 2008.


Saturday 14, June

I practiced archery today. It was sunny and very hot. It was almost 30 degrees. I was very tired because of the heat, but practicing archery. After the practice, one junior and five freshmen including me played Uno. We like Uno. The rule is simple, but we enjoyed a lot. We played for more than two hours. Actually I’m not good at Uno, though it doesn’t mean that I don’t like Uno. Now, I will introduce what Uno is. The deck consists of cards of 4 colors: red, green, blue, and yellow. The ranks in each color are 0-9. There are 3 "action" cards in each color, labeled "skip", "draw two", and "reverse". There are also special black action cards, "wild" and "wild draw four". There are two copies of each colored regular and action card, except for the zero card, which only have one per suit. There are four "wild" and "wild draw four" cards each, producing a total of 108 cards. In older versions, only the 6 is underlined to distinguish it from the 9, which is not marked; newer versions have both the 6 and the 9 underlined to further distinguish the two ranks.Before playing, a dealer must be selected. This is accomplished by drawing cards. The person with the card of the highest face value is the dealer. Only number cards are used for this purpose. Any other cards are then put back into the deck. After the dealer has been selected, seven cards are dealt to each player, and the top card of the stock is exposed to start the discard pile. If the exposed card has a special ability, it is treated as if the dealer played that card, and the special effect occurs (skip, draw two, reverse, or wild). If the exposed card is a wild draw four, however, it is returned to the deck and the next card is exposed. Play begins with the person to the left of the dealer, clockwise.

0 件のコメント: